Tuesday, August 2, 2011

When Life Imitates Art

Sleepers is very much about a girl who can fight.

Lianne can kick your a$$, and your brother's and father's too. Probably all three at once. I wrote her that way because I kind of always wanted to be like that.

I'm tall & lanky. Thin & wimpy. No one has ever been afraid of me for any reason. Deep down there's always been a part of me that wanted people to think, "Damn, she's wicked. She could kick my a$$."

But mostly people just look at me and snicker cuz I'm a total cream puff.

My daughter, who is now 9, took taekwondo for two years until she sustained a repetitive injury (not from TKD) that forced her to stop practicing for 18 months. While she was in class I would secretly think about how cool it would be to learn all of that self defense....and to break a board. But there was NO WAY anyone was going to convince me to get up in a class of little kids (it's open to age 6 and up, but it's very rare to see anyone over the age of 12 in the beginner class).

My son began to show some interest in TKD and asked if he could join the class. Technically he's too young, but we know the instructors, who insisted he would do just fine. The first day of my son's class, the instructor called me out in front of everyone and suggested I take the class too. I blushed, waved him off, and sat deeper in my chair.

On the way home, my husband said that we should all take TKD. He suggested that since our daughter has been better for about four months that she should get back in, as well as the two of us. I laughed, until I realized he was serious. A week later I'm in a black uniform and white belt, hopping & punching, wishing for a quick death.


I love TKD. I love, love, love, love, love TKD. If I could marry it, I would. Only thing is, TKD doesn't love us. Week Two: Hubby sprained his ankle in class. It was totally gross. Swollen, purple, and just plain icky. Even his toes turned purple. *shudder* Week Three: I broke my first board. YAY! And ended up with a really wicked bruise on a part of my arm that didn't even touch the board. What the heck, right?! A couple people have suggested to me that my arm might be broken. I'm going to pretend it's not. Okay. It's NOT. (I hope.)

3 comments:

  1. I really want to take any sort of TKD class or that type of stuff. I love it, I love watching it and I wish I could do it.

    I love the bruise! I have received my fair share of pretty bruises from playing soccer.

    If you can move your arm and touch it, if isn't swollen you are probably fine. Bruises can go very deep and affect the surrounding muscles and can be painful when used.

    Keep us updated on your bruise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahaha, as a Karate fan, I feel your pain. Kicked through my first board a couple of years back ... and broke three toes xD

    You're a cool lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely see how TKD inspired a lot of the descriptions in the way Lianne can fight. I wondered if you had done some sort of research to describe her moves but now I see how you were able to capture the details so precisely. Well, I hope TKD becomes you friend soon, it really does sound like a lot of fun. ~Amy

    ReplyDelete